Thai Consulate NYC (New York)

Thai EmbassyThese are the Thai Consulate NYC (New York) details. The contact details and location for the Thai Consulate in New York city has been listed below. Note that each consulate only does certain regions as has been listed below. If you live on the West Coast then you need to contact the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles for assistance.

Thai Consulate NYC (New York)

The Thai Embassy in New York city can issue you a Thai visa. This can be a marriage visa, retirement visa or a business visa for Thailand. Note that the following documents will be needed:

The Following documents must be prepared for all types of visa application.

  • Employees to present company work certificate (Business card is not acceptable)
  • Self-employed applicants must present business registration/license.
  • Students must present a letter of enrollment from university or a valid student ID
  • Pensioners must present a bank statement or pension fund.

Note that in order to retire in Thailand you need to meet the financial requirements as well as pass a medical exam and be over the age of 50 when you apply. For the marriage visa you only need to meet the financial requirements of the visa. For he Education visa you need to have all the documents from your Thai college or university in order for the visa to be issued.

If you want to register a Thai baby born abroad or want to apply for a new Thai ID card or Thai passport then you can also contact the Embassy. You can also register your marriage in the US with the Thai government so that it makes it easier later to apply for the marriage visa for Thailand.

Royal Thai Consulate General New York

Thai Consulate NYC (New York)


Thai Consulate NYC (New York)
351 East 52nd Street, New York, NY 10022 (between 1st Ave and 2nd Ave)
Consulate General Office:
Tel. 212-754-2536 / 212-754-2538 / 212-754-1770 ext. .
Administrative matters: ext. 308 or 311
Secretary to Consul General: ext. 309 or 313
Consular Services
Tel. 212-754-1770 ext.
General information: ext. 308 or 311
Thai visa: ext. 303
Thai national identification card: ext. 302
Thai passport and emergency travel document: ext. 301
Civil registration/ family registration/ legalization: ext. 302


Royal Thai Consulate General New York


Thai passport application 

(people aged 20 years and over)

  1. An E-Passport is a passport that contains biometric data such as facial, iris, and fingerprint information in a contactless integrated circuit embedded in the passport. Additionally the data is encrypted and the applicant must be present in person to have their 10 fingerprints printed, a new photo taken, and their iris scanned at the Consulate General.
  2. Likewise if a passport is lost, you must file a report with the local police station and bring the report as evidence to apply for a new passport or emergency travel documents.
  3. It is best to apply for a new passport when the current passport has less than one year of validity remaining.
  4. Personal information on the passport must match the information on the applicant’s identity card. If an applicant wishes to change their name or surname due to marriage or divorce. They must obtain a power of attorney to make the change in the civil registration office in Thailand and bring evidence of the correction before applying for a new passport.
  5. Firstly those born abroad are entitled to apply for a passport once, valid for only five years, to travel back to Thailand. Secondly the applicant should bring their name into the Thai house registration and complete their identification card in Thailand. Thirdly the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will not issue a second passport until the applicant’s name is registered in the Thai house registration and 13-digit identification number. Lastly the Royal Thai Consulate can issue an emergency travel document for use as evidence on the applicant’s return to Thailand.
ID Card & Passport
  1. Likewise to obtain a new passport. The applicant must use a valid original ID card. If the ID card has expired, is lost, or the information on it has been modified, the applicant can apply for a new ID card at the Consulate General and wait to receive a new one. Additionally if the ID card cannot be presented, a copy of a valid ID card can be used instead. It’s important to book an appointment to make an ID card and passport on the same day and time.
  2. Additionally the consulate only provides consular services to those who have booked in advance. This except for those over 60 years of age who do not need to register to reserve a queue in advance.
  3. The waiting time for a new passport takes about 3-4 weeks.


List of Required Documents

Original and valid Thai ID card (In case of an expired card, an appointment must be made to obtain a new ID card on the same day as the passport appointment).

  1. Current or latest passport.
  2. Passport application form (1 set) to be downloaded.
  3. In case of a lost passport, a police report from the local police station must be submitted.
  4. Fees (cash only).
  • Passport valid for 5 years: fee of USD 37
  • Passport valid for 10 years: fee of USD 55


Service Reservation:

To apply for the passport service, it is mandatory to reserve an appointment in advance. (Please read the information and book an appointment.)


Emergency Travel Document (ETD)

In the case of traveling back to Thailand urgently Likewise it is important to note that this situation may arise due to an expired, damaged, or lost passport. This that cannot be immediately replaced, and may take approximately 3-4 weeks for delivery from Thailand.

For those in such a situation. It is important to be aware of the necessary information related to emergency travel documents. Likewise an Emergency Travel Document (Emergency Travel Document) is issued specifically for the purpose of allowing the applicant to travel back to Thailand when their passport has expired.

It is valid for only 30 days from the date of issuance. Additionally with a processing time of approximately 1 business day. The petitioner is required to come in person for fingerprinting, taking a photo, scanning the iris, and signing the emergency travel document at the Consulate General.

Likewise to apply for an Emergency Travel Document, certain documents are required. These include a Request form for emergency travel documents (1 set). Additionally a copy of the original passport, a copy of national ID card or copy of house registration, a copy of the plane ticket (E-Ticket) (1 set), and one passport size photograph (2″x2″). Likewise if the airline requires an emergency travel document number. Then it is important to make a phone call to contact the staff of the Consulate General at phone number 212-754-1770, extension number 301.

Lost Passport

Additionally in the event of a lost passport, a report from the police station as evidence is required. Likewise if it is not possible to report to the police station, a Thai citizenship certificate may be obtained from the Consulate General in order to use it to request a report from the police station.

If the petitioner is less than 20 years of age. Additional documents are required. These include a Thai birth certificate, proof of identity card or passport of father and mother, and parents named on the Thai birth certificate must come to the Consulate General to sign the petition in front of the officer.

Likewise if the father or mother is abroad and unable to travel to the Consulate General. Additionally a consent form must be made to enable the petitioner to make emergency travel documents. The consent letter must be contacted at the district/district or the embassy/consulate-general in the country where the petitioner resides. Likewise if either parent has died. Then a death certificate must be prepared to show to the authorities, or if there is evidence of sole custody of the child, that evidence must be brought to show.



Thai ID Card Application

The Royal Thai Consulate-General in New York has officially opened the service for issuing ID cards since January 4, 2013. This service is available for Thai citizens who have made their first ID card in Thailand only. If they wish to make a new ID card as evidence for making a new Thai passport or used as evidence for legal work such as authorization, certification of documents, etc., they can come to receive services at the Consulate General. They can do so according to the opening date and time.

Persons who are eligible to apply for a foreign identity card must meet certain requirements. They must be a Thai person who already has a national ID card, but the card is expired, lost, damaged, and wants to get a new card. Alternatively, they already have an ID card but would like to update the information in the card to be current. Additionally, they must be a person listed in the household registration. However, they must not be a person who travels to study or work for a short period of time, not more than 6 months. If they have lost their card, they must have a state-issued ID card (State ID.) or a water, electricity, or telephone bill for proving and certifying residence in the United States.

Required Documents

Required documents for applying for a Thai ID card include an old identity card (that needs to be replaced with a new one that is expired or damaged), identification documents issued by the Thai government and have a 13-digit identification number, such as a passport, driver’s license, etc., and an application form for a new national ID card, 1 set (download). In case of a lost identity card, additional documents that must be presented are a copy of their national ID card or Thai passport/house registration (copy or original) and proof of address in the United States, such as a State ID card or a water, electricity, or telephone bill. However, it is not allowed to make a new card for those who come to travel, undertake a short-term study, or internship in the United States for less than 6 months.

Thai ID Card Fees

When it comes to the fee, card expiration incurs no fee. However, in case of a lost card, damaged card, change of name or surname, or change of address, there is a fee of $4 (banknotes only accepted). To receive this service, please make a reservation for the service in advance. You can read information and book an appointment here. The staff reserves the right to queue for service and provide services in the following order: New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont. People over 60 years of age (unreserved) and residing in the above 10 states will receive priority.

In case there is insufficient evidence or unable to verify your information whether you are a Thai national or not, the Royal Thai Consulate will take time to search and verify your old information. This may cause the service time to be longer than normal cases. For those who have lost contact with the district office or the district office for a long time and the evidence is an old ID card or old passport, they must bring a witness who is Thai and must bring a new Thai ID card with them to verify their Thai identity.



Applying for a Thai birth certificate (Report of Birth)

The Consulate General is offering services for making birth certificates specifically for Thai children born within the consular districts of 10 states, namely Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont. To apply for a birth certificate, the petitioner must appear in person at the Consulate General and sign the completed birth certificate when it is ready.

In regards to birth notification and request for a Thai birth certificate, the place of birth notification must be made in the area where the child was born. The Consulate General in New York is a registrar with jurisdiction over child births in 10 consular districts mentioned earlier. The person responsible for birth can be the child’s father or mother, or if they are unable to report the birth themselves, they can assign a relative or close person to acknowledge the birth and report it instead.

Nationality at Birth

The birth notification period is flexible and can be reported as appropriate. Children who were born abroad to mothers of Thai nationality shall acquire Thai nationality according to the mother, regardless of whether the father is a Thai national or not. Additionally, if the mother is of Thai nationality and the father is a foreigner but the marriage has not been registered, the child will still acquire Thai nationality according to the law. However, for children born to non-Thai mothers who are not married to a Thai father, they will not acquire Thai nationality unless the marriage has been registered.

Furthermore, the child’s nationality will depend on several factors. Such as the father’s nationality, mother’s nationality, marital status, and whether the birth was registered or not. Likewise if both parents are Thai and the marriage is registered, the child will receive Thai nationality. Additionally if one parent is Thai and the other is of a different nationality, the child’s nationality will depend on whether the birth was registered and if the Thai parent is the mother or the father.

Single and Married Parents

When parents register their marriage. Their child has the right to use the father’s surname. However, if the mother’s surname is preferred. Then both parents must give consent and provide supporting evidence by testifying to the consular officer. It is important to note that the child’s surname must either be the father’s or mother’s. Likewise combining the two to form a new surname is not allowed.

On the other hand, if the parents are not married. Then a child born as the legitimate child of a single mother has the right to use the mother’s surname. If the mother prefers a different surname, additional questioning is necessary. This and those who consent to the use of the chosen surname must be present with the registrar.

Obtaining the Birth Certificate

Obtaining a Thai birth certificate comes with important considerations. Only one original birth certificate will be issued, so it is crucial to keep it safe. Additionally, if there is a chance. I it is recommended to take the child back to Thailand to complete their identification card once they attain seven years of age. To do this, the first Thai passport must be obtained, which can be done by following the proper procedures.

It is also important to note that when a Thai birth certificate is obtained. The child will receive a 13-digit identification number and will be considered completely Thai (for boys). This means that they must attend military service in Thailand once they reach 16 years of age.  This and must report to the recruiter at the district office by the age of 20. Otherwise they may face an offense under the Military Service Act B.E. 2497.

Moreover, it is important to consider the implications of having only one US citizenship. This as it may affect the child’s opportunities to work for the US government. This such as jobs at the United States Secret Service or other jobs stipulated by the US government.

When obtaining a Thai birth certificate. Then several supporting documents are necessary, including a legalization petition and a birth registration request form. Additionally, a US birth certificate or US Birth Certificate with a copy must be certified. This by the US Department of State first, following the proper steps. Likewise this includes getting the birth certificate certified. This by the County Clerk of the state that issued it. Then bringing it to be certified by the Office of the Secretary or State Authentication of the same state.



Thai Marriage Registration

The marriage registration service is open for Thai people living in 10 states including Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont. For Thai nationals residing abroad. They can register their marriage under Thai law by submitting an application at the Thai embassy or consulate. They act as a civil registrar in foreign countries with different jurisdictions. The Consulate General in New York acts as the registrar for residents of 10 consular territories, previously mentioned.

Before registering a marriage under Thai law, the couple should have already registered their marriage under local law. Also it should be certified by the Office of Authentications, US Department of State. The marriage certificate must be translated into Thai and legalized at the embassy/consulate-general. However, the Royal Thai Consulate cannot accept marriage registration or certify documents translated into Thai for applicants who register marriage with a man/woman/woman with a woman because Thai law has not yet recognized same-sex marriage registration.

Thai Marriage Law

The registration must be a male and female couple, and they must be at least 17 years old, not in marriage with another person, and both are Thai nationals or one is a Thai person, and the other is a foreigner. If the male spouse is not of Thai nationality, he must have a certificate of celibacy. If either spouse is a Thai government official or a student in the custody of a Thai student custodian office in the United States or other offices of Thai government agencies, they must submit a marriage registration approval letter from the original affiliation office.

The party who has registered the marriage before must have a divorce certificate to show if either spouse or both parties have previously registered their marriage. The woman who has previously registered the marriage and divorced from the former spouse must change the previous last name before marriage in the passport and civil registration. Both parties must come to register the marriage in person in front of the registrar with two witnesses.

Name Title Change

Thai women who are married can use the prefix “Mrs.” or “Miss” as voluntarily. They should inform the Registrar according to law (Consular officer). The spouses can use the last name of the other as a subname upon the consent of that party, and they have the right to use the surname of either party as agreed. They may later agree to change the text in the first paragraph.

When a marriage ends in divorce or the court orders the cancellation of the marriage. The party who uses the last name of the other party can go back to use their former last name. When a marriage ends in death. The party who is alive and uses the last name of the other party has the right to continue using that last name. But when marrying again, they should return to using their original surname.

After the marriage has been registered. Women should complete the correction of the title of name, last name (correction of person list). This in the civil registration database before issuing an ID card or passport with the updated

Supporting documents for marriage registration
  • Legalization petition, amount 1 set ( Download )
  • Application form for marriage registration 1 set ( Download ) and Marriage Registration Form ( Download )
  • Letter of agreement to use the last name (If wanting to use male surname) ( Download )

To register your marriage, several supporting documents are required. These include a legalization petition, an application form for marriage registration, and a marriage registration form. Additionally, if you plan to use a male surname, a letter of agreement is required. You’ll also need to provide your Thai ID card and passport, along with copies of the identification of your foreign spouse. If your spouse is a foreigner, a certificate of celibacy must be presented to the officer.

Original divorce registration is necessary if either party or both parties have previously registered their marriage and are now divorced. In the case of a woman who has been divorced for less than 310 days on the date of applying for a new marriage registration, a medical certificate stating that she is not pregnant is required. If you have changed your name or surname, a certificate of change of name and/or surname is needed. Finally, you will need to bring two Thai national witnesses with Thai ID cards to sign as witnesses on the wedding day.

To start the process, you can send the relevant documents to the inspector via email at Once the officer has checked and confirmed that all the documents are complete, you can then make an appointment to reserve the queue for the service by calling the staff at 212-754-1770 ext. 302. It is essential to note that appointments are only accepted on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

It is important



Legalization of general documents 

(Thai government documents)

The Royal Thai Consulate offers a variety of general document certification services to Thai nationals. Those living within the 10 consular territories. Those including certifying a copy of a Thai passport for obtaining a State Tax ID card, or certifying national ID cards and driver’s licenses. This for transactions both in Thailand and abroad. However, if the petitioner wants to certify their address in the United States for banking or social security payments in Thailand. Then they must travel to the Consulate General by themselves to sign in front of the staff. Supporting documents for certification of documents include a legalization petition and a Thai passport ID card or driver’s license.

The petitioner can come in and submit the matter any day during Consulate-General working hours. The documents and supporting evidence will be examined to complete the regulations. The copy of the document must be signed to certify it as a true copy, which takes approximately 7 business days to verify. There is a fee of 15 USD, and in the case of sending and receiving requests by post, the petitioner must send an empty stamped envelope via PRIORITY MAIL + Delivery Confirmation or Express Mail via USPS only. However, the consulate is not responsible for lost documents by mail under any circumstances.

Sending and receiving requests by post

Send an empty stamped envelope via PRIORITY MAIL + Delivery Confirmation or Express Mail via USPS only (Meter Stamps and envelopes with air bubbles are not accepted for speedy return). We are not responsible for lost documents by mail in any case.

Fill in name-address
Royal Thai Consulate-General NY
351 East 52nd Street,
New York, NY 10022

Fill out your name and address (recipient) clearly.

If the petitioner chooses to pick up the documents in person. They can do so during business hours with a phone call to inquire with the legal officer first. It’s essential to note that incomplete applications or documents with missing information will be sent back to the post office, and the consulate will not be held responsible for any loss. The consulate accepts banknotes only for the fee.




Incoming search terms: